Student Assistance Fund

The Student Assistance Fund is open to all registered students at IADT on a course of not less than one-year's duration leading to an undergraduate or postgraduate qualification.

New Procedure 2017-18

In 2017-18 the Student Assistance Fund will be distributed in 2 rounds; Round 1 in November and Round 2 in February. 75% of the fund will be distributed in November and 25% in February. Students who receive a payment in Round 1 cannot re-apply to Round 2.

Closing date for application is Friday, 3rd November, 2017 at 4 pm. Applications should be returned to the Access Office in the Student Services suite in Carriglea. 

Queries

Any questions can be directed to SAF@iadt.ie.

The SAF is available to assist students who are unable to meet costs associated with day-to-day participation in higher education, including:

  • Books
  • Class materials
  • Rent
  • Heating and lighting bills
  • Food
  • Essential travel
  • In the case of parent students, childcare costs
  • Medical costs

Costs for which the SAF is not available:

  • Tuition Fees
  • Registration Fees
  • Servicing student loans

To be eligible to apply to the Student Assistance Fund this academic year, students must be in at least one or more of the following categories and evidence must be provided.

  1. Students who are in receipt of a social welfare payment or dependent upon their spouse or partner’s social welfare payment.
  2. Students who are dependent on their parent(s)/legal guardian, who are in receipt of a social welfare payment.
  3. Students who are in receipt of a SUSI grant or are awaiting the outcome of their application e.g. fees only or maintenance grant.
  4. Students who are above grant or social welfare thresholds but from a relatively low income household and with significant personal emergency expenditure in excess of personal income, with details provided of the circumstances.

Applicants must submit supporting documentation. Please have these ready to attach to your application. Applications without documentation will not be processed. The applicant must provide:

  1. Two months bank statements.
  2. Evidence relating to any claims made e.g. childcare receipts, rental lease, utility bills etc AND
  3. For grant recipients, a letter from SUSI / Local Authority confirming that you have been approved for a grant and the grant’s rate OR
  4. Proof of a social welfare payment e.g. a medical card, social welfare statement OR
  5. Evidence of household income for 2016/2017. This must be one of the following:
  • P21 (PAYE workers)
  • Self-Assessment Letter (self-employed)
  1. Download the application form from this website.
  2. Complete and return with supporting documentation to the Student Experience Office, Carriglea Building.
  3. Round 1 applications will close on Friday November 3rd 2017.
  4. Round 2 applications will close on Friday February 9th 2018.
  5. 75% of the available funds will be distributed in Round 1 and the remaining 25% in Round 2. Students who applied to Round 1 cannot apply to Round 2.
  6. Payments will be issued electronically approximately 4 weeks after the application closing date. 

Applications are assessed by the Student Assistance Fund committee. This may include members of the Student Experience team as well as other administrative and academic staff, and a member of the Students' Union. Students' application details will be held in strict confidence.

The amount payable to each student varies every year depending on the volume of students applying to the fund. 75% of the fund will be paid out in Round 1 and the remaining 25% in Round 2. Students who receive a payment in Round 1 cannot apply to Round 2.

The following process has been put in place to allow IADT students to have their application reconsidered if they are not satisfied with the outcome of their original application:

  • Students must re-submit a new application form containing any new information they wish to be considered to the Access Office, C006D Carriglea Building.
  • Students must attach a cover letter stating why they wish their appeal to be considered.
  • The appeal is examined by a different person/group from the first application, to ensure independence and objectivity.
  • If necessary, students may be interviewed to verify details of the appeal.
  • Students will be informed in writing by email of the outcome of their appeal.