Palmer, Dr. Marion
Department of Learning Sciences
School / Functional Area:
School of Creative Technologies
Head of Department of Learning Sciences
Contact Telephone Number:
+353 1 2394732
Marion (dot) palmer (at) iadt (dot) ie
Doctor of Education. Queens University Belfast. ¿Masters in Education.
Trinity College Dublin¿Diploma in Education. University of London, Institute of Education¿
Postgraduate Certificate in Education. University of London, Kings College¿
B.A (Mod) Experimental Physics. Trinity College, Dublin
Membership of Professional Bodies ¿Institute of Physics - Chartered Physicist. ¿
Women in Technology and Science (WITS).
¿ Educational Studies Association of Ireland. ¿Educational Developers in Ireland Network (EDIN).
All Ireland Society for Higher Education. (AISHE). ¿Staff and Educational Developers Association (SEDA)UK.
¿Society for Research into Higher Education. (SRHE) UK. ¿Irish Learning Technology Association. (ILTA).
Association for Learning Technology (ALT)(UK)
Area of Expertise:
- Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. ¿
- Assessment in Higher Education
- ¿Instructional Design ¿
- Primary Science ¿
- Physics Education
- Physics (science)
Teaching in higher education
EdD dissertation Teaching in Irish Institutes of Technology 2009
- In 2009/2010 Marion led workshops on assessment at:
- IT Carlow November 2009
- IT Carlow - Wexford Campus November 2009
- Athlone Institute of Technology December 2009
DIT LTTC February 2010
- For the DRHEA eLearning Summer School in June 2010 Marion and Dr Jen Harvey of DIT facilitated a workshop on assessment. This workshop was repeated at ITT Dublin on 9 September 2010.
- Chair of IADT Teaching and Learning Committee.
- IADT representative on the Blackrock Education Centre Management Committee.
- Member of the Council of HETAC the Higher Education and Training Awards Council www.hetac.ie
- 2010/2011 chair of EDIN the Educational Developers in Ireland Network www.edin.ie
- Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy
Professional Practice Interests:
Marion is chair of IADT Teaching and Learning Committee and the IADT eLearning Steering Group.
Marion is a member of the Council of HETAC the Higher Education and Training Awards Council.
Marion is a Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy.
Marion presented two staff seminars on Assessment in Higher Education at Athlone Institute of Technology in December 2007 and January 2008.
Marion has been advisor to the Discover Primary Science.www.primaryscience.ie since 2002
Peer Reviewed Publications:
Palmer, M. and Heagney, C. (2008) Reflections on Conversations as a Catalyst for Change 2003-2007. In Higgs, B. and McCarthy, M., Emerging Issues II The Changing Roles and Identities of Teachers and Learners in Higher Education. Cork: NAIRTL and EDIN.
Conference Presentations and Posters
- Palmer, M. (2010) Programme Assessment Strategies – making assessment transparent or needless bureaucracy. Presentation at AISHE Conference 2010 Designing & Delivering Curricula for the Future, DCU, 26 August.
- Palmer, M. (2009) Assessment and Standards - Approaches to Implementation. Poster presented at IUQB Seminar 3 November, Dublin.
- Palmer, M. (2009) Managing Assessment. Workshop at Learning Innovation Network Second Annual Conference, Athlone 15 October, http://lin-ireland.com/index.php?title=LIN_2009_Conference.
- Palmer, M. (2009) Exploring Teaching in Institutes of Technology. IADT Brown Bag lunch, 12 October.
- Palmer, M. (2009) Teaching in Institutes of Technology – the lecturers’ perspective. Presentation at AISHE Conference 2009 Valuing Complexity, NUI Maynooth, 27 August.
Palmer, M., Barton, H. and Kirwan, G. (2009) Exploring wikis through an assessment task – reflections and resistance from practice. Presentation at EdTech2009, NCI, 21 May.
- Palmer, M.(2009) Tacoma Narrows Bridge - an iconic film in Physics Education. Presentation at filmsense: a symposium on Film and Education IADT, 24 April.
- Palmer, M. (2008) Exploring technology in learning. Presentation at Engaging with Emerging Learning Styles Failte Ireland Conference, Dublin, 17 November.
- Palmer, M. (2008) Creating Futures – working at the convergence of arts, technology and enterprise at IADT. Presentation at HEAnet National Networking Conference 2008, Kilkenny 13 November.
Palmer, M. (2008) Exploring Teaching in Institutes of Technology. Paper presented at first Learning Innovation Network conference, Athlone, 10 October.
- Palmer, M & Power, A. (2008, March). MSc in Cyberpsychology at IADT, Ireland. Poster session presented at the General Online Research Conference, Hamburg.
Palmer, M. and Cowan P. (2007, September) Teaching in Institutes of Technology in the Republic of Ireland, Paper presented with Dr Pamela Cowan QUB at the British Educational Research Association (BERA) Annual Conference, Institute of Education, London.