BA [Hons] English, Media
+ Cultural Studies
What will I do?
- Read and study a wide range of literary works.
- Explore the history of Film & Television and learn how to critique and analyse them.
- Broaden your knowledge of Culture
- Develop skills in : Critical and analytical thinking/Writing & Research/Presenting
- Gained skills required for various career paths or further study
- Learn more about English, Media & Cultural Studies by visiting http://www.emcs-iadt.com/
What will I be able to do when I graduate?
Recent graduates of this programme have found employment in the following areas:
Journalism, Publishing, Advertising, Public Relations, Radio, Research, Human Rights Law, Trade Unionism, Film, Television, Teaching, Politics and Activism, Performance, Librarianship, Public Service, International Relations, International English teacher,
What modules will I study?
Modern English Literature, Introduction to Critical Theory, Introduction to Cinema and Cultural Studies, Introduction to Media Studies, Visual Culture, Introduction to Urban Literatures, Learning Journal, Dramatic Writing.
Critical Theory, Film Studies, Political Economy and Globalisation, 19th Century Literature, Tragic Theatre, Popular Cultures, Writing for Multiple Media Platforms, Genres of Popular Fiction.
20th Century Irish Writing, James Joyce, Cultural Identities, Contemporary Cinema, Research Methods, Modernism, TV Drama, Work Employment and Society, Research proposal development.
Media and Cultural Identity in Ireland, Contemporary Literature, Censorship and Control, Politics and
Public Cultures in Ireland, Dissertation.
Sample of elective modules: Censorship and Control, American Literature, Technology and Cultures, Non Western Cinema, Gothic and Horror, Visual Cultures and Political Violence.